Business Licenses


As per Sedro-Woolley Municipal Code - Business License (Title 5), all businesses operating within the Sedro-Woolley city limits must have a State of Washington Business License with an endorsement for the City of Sedro-Woolley.


Do You Need a City License?

All businesses maintaining a place of business within Sedro-Woolley city limits are required to get a license prior to commencing business activities. This includes schools, churches, political groups, and organizations. All businesses that do not maintain a place of business within the City are required to get a Non-Resident General Business License for the City of Sedro-Woolley.

Wondering how to start a new business? Click here for a step-by-step guide.

Regulatory Business License

The City of Sedro-Woolley requires inspection of certain business activities prior to the activity occurring. Below are the license types and fees that require application for certain types of business activity. The fees are set to cover the City’s cost of regulation, inspection, and compliance of the business activity. All business license fees are non-refundable. Please make sure you know what you need. If you are unsure, please read the definitions in our Municipal Code.

  • Businesses selling/serving alcohol:  $250 annually - Defined as Businesses, clubs or societies selling or serving beer, wine and/or spirits, operating under license or authority of the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board
  • Pawn shops:  $135.00 annually
  • Taxi drivers:  $135.00 annually
  • Mobile vending:  $75.00 annually - “Mobile vending” or “mobile vendors” means sales of services and/or merchandise including food that occurs at or in a mobile vehicle, cart, trailer or similar vehicle that can be moved from location to location
  • Extension Vendors:  $200.00 annually - “Extension vending” means sales of services and/or merchandise including food that occurs at or in a mobile vehicle, cart, trailer or similar vehicle that can be moved from location to location but is licensed to vend in a single, fixed location that provides access for employees and customers to plumbed restroom facilities and tables and chairs
  • Growing, Processing and/or Selling of Marijuana:  $250.00 annually

License Renewal

Six weeks before your current license expiration date, the Business Licensing Service will send an email notice to the email address on file with the WA State Department of Revenue to renew your City of Sedro-Woolley business license. Follow the instructions on the renewal notice. If you prefer to mail the paper renewal, you will need to reach out to Business License Services by calling 360-705-6705.

To renew your license, you can use a credit card or e-check to make payments for online transactions. If the renewal is received after the expiration date, a late filing fee will be assessed. Please allow six weeks for license activation.

Quitting Business

If your business is no longer operating within Sedro-Woolley city limits, notify the Department of Revenue immediately. Instructions on what to do if you are closing or selling your business can be found here.

Transference & Purpose – License for Each Physical Location

Business licenses may not be transferred or assigned. Business licenses may not be used for a purpose different from that for which it was issued. A separate business license must be obtained for each business name and location.

Home-Based Businesses

The City of Sedro-Woolley recognizes the need of some citizens to use their place of residence for business activities, especially today with internet sales and telecommuting. If you sell through Facebook, Etsy, or other online platforms, you are still required to obtain a business license. For additional information, here is a link to Home-Based Business Requirements and Restrictions.

Who is Exempt from Licensing?

Businesses exempt from local license requirements include:

  • Casual or isolated sales (think accountant selling old office furniture)
  • Common carrier delivery of goods and services within city limits (think UPS, FedEx, and USPS)
  • Minors engaged in baby-sitting, newspaper delivery, lawn mowing, and car washing


Certain businesses are not permitted in all areas of the City. To learn whether your intended business location is zoned for your proposed business, or if you have any questions about home occupations, signs, or building permits, please email or call 360-855-0771.

Business Resources

The State of Washington has created a guide to assist you in how to start a business. Other helpful information from the State can be found at the following websites:

The following Federal agencies offer valuable resources to assist you as you plan your business:

Quick Links

  • Search for a business license
  • Renew your business license
  • Apply for a Washington State business license:

    You will be redirected to the DOR online Business Licensing Service. To access the system, you will be required to log on or create a user ID to proceed with the application process. If you are doing business within Sedro-Woolley city limits, you can add the City license when applying for the State license.

  • Add a Sedro-Woolley business license:

    You must already have an active Washington State Business License in order to proceed with this process. After selecting Add, you will be redirected to the DOR Business License Service.

More Information

Questions about the application process should be directed to the Washington State Department of Revenue at 360-705-6741. For other questions about City licensing requirements, reach out to City staff at 360-855-9927 or email You may also find answers in the Business Licenses section of our FAQ page.