Public Library

Physical Address 110 West State Street
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284
Phone 360-755-3985

The Sedro-Woolley Public Library is now the

(now part of the Central Skagit Library District)

About the Library

Sedro-Woolley Library was officially founded in the early 1900’s. Prior to this residents had established an informal lending library at a local drug store, where the druggist allowed them to trade books. In the early 1900’s the first library was in a one room building on 3rd Street, and Mrs. James Grey and Mrs. C.E. Bingham were the library staff. In a few years time, a need for a larger library was evident and an application was made in 1913 to the Carnegie Foundation for funds. In 1914 the city council passed an ordinance creating a department of government to be known as the Sedro-Woolley Library Association with the management and control vested in a Board of Trustees.

With donated land, a handsome Carnegie Library was built at Third and Nelson Street and dedication was held in October 1915. Miss Minna Dorsey was librarian and continued in this position until 1923. Mrs. Marie LaPlant a teacher in Sedro-Woolley was the new librarian and she well served the library for the next 21 years.

The Carnegie Building was demolished in 1962 when the School District acquired the land. A new building was opened on Ball Street on Oct 1, 1962, with great assistance from High school students, Girl Scouts, and Campfire Girls who helped to move the library materials to the new location.  In 1989 under the leadership of board chair Pat Hayden the library was given a state grant and with matching city funds it was expanded to the present size building.

In July of 2017 the City entered into a partnership agreement with the Central Skagit Library to provide library services to the community, and to construct a new library within the City.  The existing Sedro-Woolley Public Library closed on February 15, 2018 and Central Skagit Library began operating in its place on February 21, 2018.  Central Skagit Library operated the 802 Ball Street location until the new facility at 110 West State Street opened to the public in June 2021.