Frequently Asked Questions


Is a dog license required inside City limits?
Yes. All dogs over four months of age are required to be vaccinated against rabies and licensed for FREE by the police department.  Please bring your rabies certificate with you to SWPD.  Dogs may not run at large in the city, and if impounded, the owner is subject to fines and impound fees.  For more information about our animal regulations, please call 360-855-3211.

Boards, Commissions & Councils

When are City Council and Planning Commission meetings held?
City Council meetings are held at 6:00 PM on the second and fourth Wednesdays of  every month (except November and December). City Council Study Sessions are held at 6:00 PM on the first Wednesday of every month (except June, July and August). Planning Commission meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month. See the City Calendar for details.

Business Licenses

Is a business license required to conduct business inside the City limits of Sedro-Woolley?
The City of Sedro-Woolley has partnered with the Department of Revenue's Business Licensing Service (BLS) effective September 18, 2011.  You may now apply for or modify your license online.

Sedro-Woolley Municipal Code - Business License (Title 5)

Community Organizations

Where is the Sedro-Woolley Chamber of Commerce?
They are located at 810 Metcalf Street and can be reached at (360) 855-1841.

Diversity, Equity & Inclusion

Are special accommodations available for persons with disabilities?
Yes. In accordance with the requirements of title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ("ADA"), the City of Sedro-Woolley will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities on the basis of disability in its services, programs, or activities. See the ADA Resources tab for our policy and additional information.
How does the City of Sedro-Woolley provide Equal Opportunity?
The City of Sedro-Woolley complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.

The City also complies with applicable state laws and does not discriminate on the basis of creed, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.

For more information see our Nondiscrimination and ADA Resources pages.
How does the City of Sedro-Woolley comply with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

The City of Sedro-Woolley complies with applicable civil rights and nondiscrimination laws. We specifically comply with Title VI through agreements with State and Federal agencies, and by notifying all bidders with the following statement:

"The City of Sedro-Woolley, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, (78 Stat. 252, 42 U.S.C. 2000d to 2000d-4) and the Regulations, hereby notifies all bidders that it will affirmatively ensure that in any contract entered into pursuant to this advertisement, disadvantaged business enterprises will be afforded full and fair opportunity to submit bids in response to this invitation and will not be discriminated against on the grounds of race, color, or national origin in consideration for an award."

For more information see our Nondiscrimination page, or contact our Designated Title VI Coordinator:

Julie Rosario, Public Works Administrative Analyst
Title VI Coordinator
325 Metcalf Street, Sedro-Woolley, WA  98284

Phone:  (360) 855-0771


Where can I register to vote?
Forms are available at Sedro-Woolley City Hall for registering to vote, name or address changes and absentee voting. After completing the form they are mailed to Olympia for processing. Voting information is also available through the Skagit County Elections department at (360) 336-9305.

General Information

What is the population of the City of Sedro-Woolley?
As of April 1, 2022 the Office of Financial Management estimates the population of the City of Sedro-Woolley is 12,590.
How many square miles is the City of Sedro-Woolley?
As of July 2022 the City of Sedro-Woolley city limits encompasses about 4.54 square miles (approximately 2,9087 acres).

Inclement Weather & Emergencies

Are there any special considerations for heavy snow, rain or high winds?

Yes. Here are some important considerations:

  • SNOW - Residential and Commercial owners are responsible for clearing snow on the sidewalks adjacent to their property and between their driveway and the public roadway. See our Snow and Ice Policy and Snow Plow Routes for details.
    • Do not shovel after eating or while smoking.
    • Take it slow and stretch out before you begin.
    • Shovel only fresh, powdery snow; it’s lighter.
    • Push the snow rather than lifting it.
    • If you do lift it, use a small shovel or only partially fill the shovel.
    • Lift with your legs, not your back.
    • Do not work to the point of exhaustion.
    • Don’t pick up that shovel without a doctor’s permission if you have a history of heart disease. If you feel tightness in the chest or dizziness, stop immediately.
  • RAIN - For significant flooding events, sandbags and sand are made available to residents on a first-come-first-served basis (bring your own shovel).
    • Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
    • Remember, just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
    • Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
    • Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
  • WIND - Watch for downed power lines.
    • Assume it's energized and stay as far away as you can.
      Energized lines can charge the ground near the point of contact and may electrocute you. If you come upon a downed line of any kind, stay at least 35 feet away. Do not attempt to rescue a person or pet.
    • Call 911 or the utility serving the location. For Puget Sound Energy, call 1-888-225-5773.
      Leave everything to utility professionals and emergency personnel.
    • Do not drive over downed power lines.
      Even if they're not energized, downed wires can get entangled with your vehicle and cause further damage.
    • Stay in your car.
      If a power line falls on your vehicle while you're driving, do not exit until you know for sure that the line is de-energized.
    • If you must evacuate, jump away and land with both feet together.
      Do not touch the vehicle while stepping on the ground, as this can create a path for electricity to run through you.
    • Shuffle away to safety.
      Keep your feet together and take small, shuffling steps until you're at least 35 feet away. Taking larger steps can also create a path for electricity to run through you.
Questions or comments may be directed to the City Public Works Department at 360-855-0771 or to the Director of Public Works at
Does the City of Sedro-Woolley have a disaster plan?
The City of Sedro-Woolley participated in the development of, and has officially adopted the Skagit County Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan. The plan is available on their website at:

Mail & Parcel Services

How do I contact the Sedro-Woolley Post Office?
The local U.S. Post Office is located at 111 Woodworth. The local phone number is (360) 855-0545.
What is the mailing address for the Sedro-Woolley Police Department?
325 Metcalf Street, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284


Who do I contact regarding property taxes?
The Skagit County Assessor's Office assesses property taxes as passed by taxing jurisdictions and as approved by voters. The dividing of the tax bill is based on market value, as per Washington Law. Assessed taxes are then paid to and receipted by the Skagit County Treasurers office. For more information contact: Skagit County Assessor at (360) 336-9370 or Skagit County Treasurer at (360) 336-9350.
Does the City of Sedro-Woolley offer property tax exemptions for low-income, disabled, or senior citizens?
Property tax exemptions are managed by Skagit County. If you are over 61 years of age and/or disabled, you may be eligible for an exemption. See Skagit County’s website at

Utility Services

I've just moved to Sedro-Woolley - City Limits.  Whom do I contact to set up services?

Sewer, Garbage & Recycling - City of Sedro-Woolley - (360) 855-0929

Water - Skagit County PUD - (360) 424-7104

Cable - Xfinity - (800) 266-2278

Electricity - Puget Sound Energy - (888) 225-5773

Gas - Cascade Natural Gas Corp. - (888) 522-1130

Telephone - Ziply Fiber - (877) 875-8723

Where can I pay my local service bills?

City of Sedro-Woolley -- located at 325 Metcalf Street,  Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284 (drop box at Metcalf entrance to City Hall and drive-up payment box in alley behind post office) - accepts payments for: City Sewer, Garbage & Recycling

You can also pay these bills and others using Xpress Bill Pay, our online bill pay service.

Food Pavilion -- located at 530 Crossroads Square - accepts payments for: Cascade Natural Gas (Gas), Xfinity (Cable), Puget Sound Energy (Electricity)

Skagit State Bank -- located at 300 Ferry Street - accepts payments for: Skagit PUD (Water)

Are garbage and recycling pick up mandatory in the City of Sedro-Woolley?
Yes. In accordance with Ordinance 689, the maintenance of health and sanitation requires the collection, removal, and disposal of garbage and  refuse within the city be compulsory and universal.  Regulation of the  disposal of solid waste and recycling is necessary to promote the public health, safety and the welfare of the citizens of Sedro-Woolley.
Who do I call regarding curbside yard waste collection?
Curbside food and yard waste recycling is an optional service provided by the City to its residents.  For additional information see the utility billing page or call 360-855-0929.
Who do I call before I dig?


Where do I license my vehicle?
The local vehicle licensing department is located at 810 Metcalf Street (the Sedro-Woolley Chamber of Commerce office). They can be reached at (360) 855-1162.